Sunday, May 10, 2009

Explanation

It comes to mind that an explanation for the label of this inane rambling is in order.

Once upon a time there was a episode of debate with a gentleman of my acqaintance who after a quite spirited repartee match, exclaimed in exasperation that I had a venomous tongue. I considered this a rather unique, but appropriate compliment.
So when I began using a citizen's band radio in my work as a long haul truck driver, I cast about for an amusing or different "cb handle". It was customary among truckers to try to think up something related to the individual or just to be outrageous as possible in some cases.
I remember a Foxy Lady, a short stroke, a poppa smurf, a double d, a double A, a here comes trouble, a kalico and many more x-rated ones not worth repeating.
I had recently seen the really funny 1944 movie "Arsenic And Old Lace" starring Cary Grant and thought it would be amusing to use the name Arsenic as my cb handle. As expected, it always provoked a good deal of comment when I allowed it to be known.
I never talked much on the cb unless I was traveling with someone as we often did and talked to pass the long boring hours on the road. This was especially helpful if it was a night run and helped us to stay alert and informed of possible hazardous road conditions or traffic tie ups.
Many people disparage the trucker's use of the radios to keep track of where the highway patrol
radar cars are located. To this it has to be said that too many truckers are guilty of using it to break the law and drive too fast. However, the majority of the operators of commerical trucks are family people deeply concerned with their own as well as the public safety and are struggling in these hard times to make a decent living just like everyone else.
It is a proven fact cited in extensive studies that a large number of truck wrecks are caused by irresponsible auto drivers who whip through traffic like turpentined cats unheedful of the distance it takes to stop the eighty thousand pound monster they have just cutoff.
But...I digress.
So back to the explanation. Now that I am of the age that the two maiden Aunts of Cary Grant's character in the movie were, it seems that old lace might be called for. But, its a different age now, so most of us old bats are no longer tendin' to our knittin', plus rockin' the grandbabies with one hand and shellin' peas with the other while kickin' the pigs & puppies off the porch, not to mention the goats.
We are bikers, truckers, road hands, roughnecks, pilots, engineers, soldiers, doctors, lawyers, indian chiefs, university officials, lusty old bimbos, and just about anything else the mind can imagine. I hardly think that lace is called for in some of these grimy, dusty and dangerous occupations.
That is left to the pleasant times of romance or the lot lizards who slither at night through the truck stops, plying the oldest profession in the world.
Ergo...old face.
Different subject: Had the back-a-laur-iate (too lazy to look it up) service tonight at Church for the graduating seniors, one of which is the resident grandkid around here so...went and was deeply touched by it. Nuff said.
Bedtime has slipped up on me again. No lace on my nightie. ZZZ

No comments: