Another exciting day in in retirement and I can hardly wait to see what tomorrow brings. Today brought us another little female fainting goat, at which her Granny, Rosa fainted and stuck her legs up in the air.
Probably the thought of babysitting overwhelmed her. She is still barely nursing her twins when they can corner her somewhere. They attack her from both sides and when I see her rump being goosed into the air repeatedly, I know they are getting their proper nourishment.
This usually only lasts a few moments til Rosa manages to drag her behind away from the little suckers.
They (the twins) are not fainters and streak here & there madly at which Rosa keels over nearly every time they come charging at her.
The Daddy of this new little darling is named Apache. I like to tweek the kids by calling him Alfonse, Alpacka or Attaboy. This way they are not sure if I am joking or if they are seeing the first signs of ALS. I get less argument that way. Anyhow, I know his name is Ah-patchy.
For a goat, he is pretty nice, not nearly so smelly as most, and very docile tho he does engage in goaty type behavior sometimes and when I catch him at it, he just looks at me like he is shrugging a uninterested "so what".
I am trying to put in a garden between chasing fence-breaking goats and logging porch-sitting time. I am very industrious. I work for perhaps 10-15 minutes, then sit down with coffee alait or mint tea for an hour.
At other times in this fun filled existence, I read. My 17-year old granddaughter just dared me to read the C.S. Lewis book "Screwtape Letters". I was surprised that both she and another teenage friend of hers were both quite taken with the theme and grasped the significance of the content in relationship to what they see around them everyday.
It is somewhat amusing that each generation believes they are the first discoverers of knowledge. I thought so too when I was young, but unlike these kids, I was scared spitless to speak my mind and had no confidence in my abilities at all, even tho I was sure I knew more than I did. These kids are confident and optimistic. Good!
It is ironic that now that I have a great deal of confidence in what I can do and am at ease with myself and others, I am in my dotage so it's like I don't exist anymore in the eyes of the kid bagging groceries, the checker at the gas station and people flowing around me at Walmart.
I do get noticed tho when some speedster comes boiling around me at the posted speed limit giving me that exasperated look reserved for stepping in a cowpile and whizzes on down the road. It is quite satisfying to pass THEM with a smile as I go by where they are entertaining an interestingly decorated car parked just behind them. I think the flashing lights reflect off my teeth . They don't know I've driven this road many many times and know where those bugger bears hang out.
Anyway the goats like me...they always frisk me just in case I have a treat but if not they are tolerant.
So far I am not missing the road too much though ever so often I catch myself mentally going down a certain road and trying to remember just where in this country that particular piece of scenery is located.
Oops! Bedtime...can't be late for that.
Thursday, May 7, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment